Perth College of Business & Technology

Student Information Services

Course Prerequisites

All course prerequisites will be detailed with the list of courses. Be sure to read the course information and check for any prerequisites prior to applying for the course. Applicants who do not meet the academic prerequisites will need to discuss with their education agent or the college principal to see if relevant work experiences will apply.

Any intending students who do not speak English as their first language, or for whom English was not the language of instruction at school, are required to meet a minimum IELTS level of 5.5 (academic).

International students who do not provide an IELTS score may be required to sit an English language test and if necessary, complete an ELICOS program prior to commencing a formal course. Transfer into a formal course from ELICOS is at the discretion of the Institute and is based on the level of English language obtained.


Students Under 18 years of age

If you are under 18 we regret to inform you that at this stage the PCBT will not be providing any course or study programs. Should this policy change in the future the web site and all agents will be notified accordingly.


Academic Year

The academic year commences in early February and finishes in December. The year is divided into two semesters. All courses offered commence in February and some also have July intake.

The College is open from Monday to Sunday, with classes normally scheduled between 8.00am and 5.00pm.


Termination of Course

In the event that the College cannot provide the course, all tuition fees paid in advance will be refunded in accordance with the Refund Policy. The Institute will also assist the student in locating and transferring to a suitable course at another college.


Deferment, Suspension and Cancellation Policy

PCBT has policies and procedures that recognise and responds to cases where a student may wish to defer, suspend or cancel their enrolment. For further information please refer to Deferment, Suspension and Cancellation Policy.



Institutes:Under Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP) regulations, international students are prevented from transferring from one institution to another for six months after their course commences. If students are granted a visa for an ELICOS program packaged with a formal course (certificate, diploma or advanced diploma) transfers will only be allowed after six months of the principal course.

Transfers within six months will only be approved in exceptional circumstances. For further information please refer to Transfer Enrolment Policy.

Courses:It is PCBT policy that international students must remain in the course as granted per visa application for a minimum of six months before a request for transfer between courses will be considered.


Appeals and Grievances

PCBT has an appeals and grievance policy please refer to  Complaints and Appeals Policy



It is recommended that students budget between $18,000 AUD to $20,000 AUD per year for living expenses. Living expenses are not included in tuition fees. On arriving students should bring with them approximately AUD$4,000 to AUD$5,000 to cover the cost of temporary accommodation and the set up costs of permanent accommodation.

Student’s budget will increase by approximately 35% if accompanied by a spouse and an additional 20% if accompanied by one child, and increase by 15% for each additional child. If the accompanying child is of school age it is a requirement of the student visa that they must be enrolled and attend school. The costs range from AUD$6,000 to AUD$8,900 depending on level at school. Please note: This is Western Australian government school 2007 fees and non-government schools fees vary, so please contact individual schools. The reception staff at PCBT can assist with contact details.

Living costs do vary depending on lifestyle and living arrangements. The budget figures should be used as a guide only to determine actual living expenses. For currency conversions please go to


Costs Associated with Study

Tuition fees are detailed in individual offer letter. Students enrolled in Hospitality classes are required to wear protective clothing and or a uniform. PCBT will supply this equipment at the designated fees.
See International Student Fee Structure


Payment of Tuition Fees

Tuition fee are payable every term up to the end of fourth week. A fee warning will be issued if fees are not paid by the end of week four of each term.


Airport Pick-up

To access this service the completed Airport Pick-up form must be filled in and returned to the PCBT Student Office seven days prior to arrival in Perth. This form is available from the college or Download here. This service cannot be guaranteed if the completed form is received with insufficient notice prior to arrival in Perth.



Students have a number of accommodation options. The Institute provides a free accommodation placement service to assist students in locating suitable accommodation, with the exception of some homestay placements where students will pay an AUD$120 placement fee. This fee is payable to a homestay agency (not the Institute) and is subject to change.

Homestay: Homestay offers accommodation in a private home with a host family. Students are provided with a furnished bedroom with study space. The host provides meals, but the student must pay for their own travel, telephone calls, entertainment and personal needs. The approximate weekly cost is AUD$200 to AUD$220 per week. This is payable two weeks in advance to the host family.

Rented Rooms: Students can rent a room in a private house which can be either furnished or unfurnished. Meals are not normally provided, but students have access to the kitchen to prepare their own meals. Rent varies from AUD$100 to AUD$120 per week and may or may not include gas and electricity costs.

Private Rental: A popular option for students is to share an apartment or house which are normally rented through a real estate agent. Rental costs do vary dependant on type of property, number of bedrooms and location. Rent varies from AUD$200 to AUD$400 per week. A month’s rent in advance and a bond equivalent to one month’s rent is required when renting a property. To rent a property from a real estate agent their rental application form must be filled out and they may require a reference letter and financial and identification proof. The majority of rental properties are unfurnished. Approximately AUD$4,000 to AUD$5,000 will be required for the above requirements,
household goods, gas, electricity and telephone connection. For further information on renting a property please refer to

Permanent accommodation usually takes two to four weeks to arrange, depending on the type of accommodation required. Permanent accommodation cannot be arranged prior to arriving in Australia.
These costs are indicative only (subject to change).



International students at the PCBT are required to attend an orientation program, which is conducted in the week prior to the beginning of the semester. The program covers aspects of living and studying in Australia.

Sessions at orientation include: adapting to Australian course requirements, lifestyle, health insurance, compliance with student visa requirements, study skills, enrolment, (including timetable for current semester, booklist and student card) and orientation to local environment.



Health Insurance

All international students are required by the Australian Government to take out Health cover. The Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides international students with free public hospital care for non-elective treatment and 85% rebate of the standard doctor’s fees. For further information please refer to


The ESOS framework-providing quality education and protecting your rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code.

Protection for overseas students: AAs an overseas student on a student visa, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) at CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider at which you study meet the high standards necessary for overseas students. Please check carefully that the details of your course, including its location and then match the information on CRICOS.


Your rights

The ESOS framework protects your rights, including:

    • your right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees modes of study and other information from your provider and your provider’s agent. If you are under 18, to ensure your safety, you will be granted a visa only if there are arrangements in place for your accommodation, support and welfare
    • your right to sign a written agreement with your provider before or as you pay fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable and information about refunds of course money. You should keep a copy of your written agreement
    • your right to get the education you paid for. The ESOS framework includes consumer protection that will allow you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if your provider is unable to teach your course.

The ESOS framework protects your right to know:

    • how to use your provider’s student support services
    • who the contact officer or officers are for overseas students
    • if you can apply for course credit when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
    • what your provider’s requirements are for satisfactory progress in the courses you study
    • if attendance will be monitored for those courses
    • what will happen if you want to change providers
    • how to use your provider’s complaints and appeals process.
    • ESOS Framework (Click Here)


Your responsibilities

As an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to:

    • satisfy your student visa conditions
    • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
    • meet the terms of the written agreement with your provider
    • inform your provider if you change your address
    • maintain satisfactory course progress
    • if attendance is recorded for your course, follow your provider’s attendance policy